Monday, April 23, 2012

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Beta Impressions

I was lucky enough to score a beta token off a friend of mine for Ghost Recon Future Soldier Multiplayer Beta…and boy was it worth it. The game only features one game mode (conflict; which is like a team death-match with an objective thrown in there). The controls feel nice and are easy to catch onto, like any other shooter out there. However, in my eyes this game really shines in the animation.You really do feel like you’re in an elite squad of terrorist hunting badasses. As a player you can feel the weight of your weapons and the gunfire around you.

The weapon system in this game is crazy. Think of an RPG exclusively dedicated to guns. That’s what the gunsmith feature feels like in this game. Never before in a video game could you customize the gas system of your weapon or your stand-alone trigger. And with every change you make you see the stats of your weapon change. It really does make you feel like you are truly in charge of your own custom weapon loadout, and just on a side note, the fact that you can cloak into your environment while you play as the recon class is pure awesome. It’s actually very reminiscent of Snake’s suit from Metal Gear Solid 4.

I also found that it takes very little effort to move around the entire map with just the cover snapping feature. The way the Ghosts move to and from walls, to cars, to sandbags is very fluid. I really do feel like I don’t even have to move with my analog stick to get around swiftly. Now, I’m not saying that you shouldn’t move without cover at all, I’m just pointing out that it's a cool alternative. In fact I can see a player doing that just for bragging rights. I mean people get no scopes and 360 headshots all the time right? Why can’t cover bouncing be a show of skill.

My only real gripe with the game is that the cover can actually be kind of sticky at times. If you are trying to do a blend of cover snapping and free moving then it can get a little irritating at times. For example, I was on a 1 on 1 with somebody and we started playing ring around the rosy. Then, when I was ready to make my move, I couldn't properly dismantle the wall in time and he shot me right in between the eye. On a more minor scale, the graphics seemed to be a bit choppy, but this is a beta after all. I have almost never let graphics ruin a game for me.

All in all I am quite pleased with the Ghost Recon multiplayer beta. They nailed the third person experience and did an excellent job with the multiplayer! I can’t wait to get in on May 22nd.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

•Comment Form Guidelines: Comments using keywords, spam or splog-like URLs, or suspicious information in the comment form will be edited or deleted.
•Not contributing to the conversation: Incessant trolling and nonsense will be deleted.
•Racial remarks/hateful language/personal attacks: If we see it, it's deleted, and you will be blocked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...