Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Nintendo 3DS Turns One


"Not another one!" is what everyone I know said. Everyone.

For what it's worth, Nintendo is the expert on releasing systems. The "Gameboy" was one of the first handhelds back in it's day, and has had the largest evolution of gaming since...well, pretty much ever.

It all started with the Gameboy, a huge clunky system that you brought with you to play your favorite games. Then they produced the Gameboy Pocket, a smaller, slimmer Gameboy that well, can fit in your pocket. They upgraded that to the Gameboy Color, which while previous models had two-tone screens, the Gameboy Color provided a variety of color to the specific Gameboy Color Games. Next we saw the Gameboy Advance, a larger screen and trigger buttons were added, and new cartridge styles were added. A Gameboy Advance could play Gameboy and Gameboy Color games, but had it's own Advance titles as well. Next we got the Gameboy Advance SP, a fold-able gameboy advance, stocked with it's own backlight and rechargable battery. An often overlooked model, the Gameboy Micro, was also revealed with it's tiny screen, but did not do much for the evolution of the gaming system. Building on the foldability, Nintendo produced the Nintendo DS, which incorporated a new card-style game cartridge reader, but still could play Gameboy and Gameboy advance cartridges. The new features included a touch-screen display, as well as a second screen, and a small operating system. Next came the DS Lite, which added a few menu options to the operating system, while slimming down the Nintendo DS. There was the DSi, which improved on the DS Lite, but discarded the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance cartridge slot. Also added was a full operating system, downloadable content, and a small camera to the front of the DS. Next we had the DSiXL, which as it sounds is just a fairly large DSi. Finally, we are where we are today, with our Nintendo 3DS.

When you look back at where Nintendo has gone with these handheld systems, I can only give them two huge big thumbs up. They've really done a great job, and I personally haven't had any disappointments in any system, even in their pricing. When you get down to the math of it all, that money is well spent. At bare minimum, if you spend 10 hours playing a game (Some people play more!), and you spent $200 on a single system with any one game, you come down to $20 an hour. $20 for unlimited continues, saves, restarts, free internet, and anywhere you want. $20 goes quickly in any given arcade, so I'd say you make a good investment! And if you spent $20 on the next game ($240), with 10 MORE hours on that one, you're now paying $12 an hour. Get another? $9! Now ask yourself- would you spend $9 to enjoy yourself for one hour?

First thing first- I will not review any of the games that are previously released on any other handheld system, or are from the NES or SNES consoles. This is because you really don't get the effects of the system from these games, you only really get portability and nostalgia. Don't get me wrong- I LOVE playing Punchout everywhere. But that's not something the 3DS specifically did for me that the DSi, in time, couldn't. So let's answer all of those questions right now- if you enjoyed them on a different console, you will enjoy them just as equally on a 3DS.

But on the same subject, let me talk about the launch- when the 3DS came out, you had REMAKES. Lots, and lots, of remakes. Why would you go and buy this new system? To get The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? To get ANOTHER Street Fighter game? To get a new system to re-play your Pokemon games one more time? I don't think so. The 3DS had a rough start, with it's only real selling point being a 3D screen. Granted, you can get wireless access, an internet browser, a few videos....But in the age of Smartphones, these are all near expected in anything electronically handheld.

For the record, my gauntlet of games includes The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64 3D, Super Mario 3DLand, Mariokart 7, Sonic Generations, and Kid Icarus Uprising. Overall, I am very pleased, and that the money spent on the system and games has been cost-effective to the amount of time I've spent using it.


It's been one year since the 3DS was released (my 3DS promptly reminded me so with spotpass goodies!), so what made me get it? I have an iPhone, so a lot of the bonuses I listed I already had. Well let me list a few of the key things that got me to the store and buying it.

1) Price Drop. You had a system that was $250 originally, and that was before any games. Now while the games aren't essential, you could still play your regular DS games, that's exactly what most people, myself included, thought- Why spend $250 for little to no improvement? So I waited, and in August 2011 the price of the 3DS dropped by $80. It went from a whopping $250 to $170! That's HUGE. If you knew games you wanted, and for me it was Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 3D, you essentially had the option now of getting the 3DS with 2 games for the original price. And so I did, and might I say $210 up front for a system plus Zelda, and then a month later to spend that other $40 really was a saver.

2) The Titles. I knew Zelda and Starfox were remakes, but let's be honest- when has a new system been released where only a few games were made only to go back to an old system? Never. So I knew that down the road all new DS games would be 3D. Maybe not something like Pokemon, which was revealed to be a DS game with 3DS features, but most new games would require a 3DS. We're looking at the 3DS gems, such as SuperMario 3DLand, Mariokart 7, and Kid Icarus Uprising. If you want to play those, you're going to have to get the 3DS. With good expectations, the 3DS was a good investment for me.

3) Backwards Compatibility. Let's be honest here- if you want to play a Gameboy or Gameboy Advance game, you know damn well you will pull out your trusty Gameboy Advance SP and enjoy yourself for the ten minutes of nostalgia you will have. So to me, losing that slot again (The DSi didn't have it either) isn't a big loss. But since I, like most DS owners, could still play Pokemon Black and Pokemon White (among other titles) on the 3DS we don't cry too much. If nothing else, and a game was REALLY GOOD on the Gameboy system, they may have it available for download on the Nintendo store. I got Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening this way, $5 well spent of course.

4) The Apps. In addition to the downloadable games, the 3DS came with a few system-specific games that are quite fun. For starters, Streetpass Mii Plaza- the Miis are back and as you pass other systems, your Miis say hello (So good job Nintendo, you've given me more inscentive to travel with my portable system!) They join you in a small little quest titled "Find Mii", and can generate panels to puzzles that when completed give you a neat 3D image of a popular title. You can also purchase random pieces of the puzzle or hire helpers using the play coins you get with the system, earned by simply walking with your 3DS. Every 100 steps, up to 10 coins per day, calculated on a pedometer in the system. Pretty neat, huh? There are other Apps that provide mild entertainment, such as Faceraiders, AR Games, and your standard Mii Maker. There's your 3DS camera, activity log, and Nintendo store for things you may not use as often (in my case anyway), and then you have the downloadable stuff too. From Nintendo you can get, for free, a Pokedex 3D, Swapnotes, Nintendo Zone, and a few others. Overall, these apps are a little fun, may catch your attention for an hour or so each, but that's about it. Nothing you'd turn your system on for, at least. I enjoy having that little "extra" to my games, so for me this is a gift.

5. The 3D Effect. Come on- it's the newest technological advancement, who doesn't want one?? I did, or at least try it out. Most people I heard it gives headaches to, and me personally I could do without the 3D. I rarely turn it on. So take my word for it- this is not the selling point now, but it was...

That just about does it though, as every player will have  their own likes dislikes. If you like Handheld Gaming, and you want to improve your Nintendo collection, get one. There will be many more titles, some iconic ones you won't want to miss (I'm looking forward to the Kingdom Hearts 3D!), and many more features that are just waiting to be added.


The Geek Asylum Says:  BUY IT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

•Comment Form Guidelines: Comments using keywords, spam or splog-like URLs, or suspicious information in the comment form will be edited or deleted.
•Not contributing to the conversation: Incessant trolling and nonsense will be deleted.
•Racial remarks/hateful language/personal attacks: If we see it, it's deleted, and you will be blocked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...