Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ubisoft at E3: Anything Other Than Soft

Let’s start off by saying that while I cannot stand Flo Rida in all his ghetto glory, thank you Far Cry 3 for tits and tattooed African women. I wasn’t particularly taken with the graphics, but in the scheme of things, the trailer conveyed what it wanted to - glory, action, and emotion. Oh, and tits. We can’t forget about that.

Moving onto a game that DOES have incredible graphics, Splinter Cell. What the hell just happened to my eyes? Another game that looks absolutely amazing and will probably be the most fun out of all of the other SC games.

As a side thought, I’ve been reading a lot of hate about this year’s E3. Everyone’s all like “thanks for repeating EVERYTHING you did last year!” In all reality, these games come out, we buy them, love them, and beat off to the thought of the next game on a regular basis, so these companies do what works - they come out with new installments! Yes, another Gears of War game. Yes, another Halo. Yes, another Call of Duty. Build a bridge and get over it. E3 will be like this for years to come.

I will admit, however, that I wasn’t too excited about Avenger’s Battle for Earth. The trailer was cool - all right, I can dig it, but I just have this strong feeling that the game wont be nearly as good as it looks to promise. I won’t hold my breath for it.

Moving onto the upcoming console, the WiiU, I’ve been hearing about it and watching videos on it for a while now. I’m not impressed. In my opinion, Nintendo forgot who it used to be. Nintendo used to be classic - now I feel like it’s a love-starved child that’s doing anything to be noticed. While Rayman Legends didn’t do anything for me, ZombiU certainly did. The name sucks, I admit, but that trailer definitely was intense. Now if they could tweak the name a little bit, I might be good as gravy. I hope Nintendo has something wicked up their sleeve for this console because between the Orbis (PS4, if you guys don’t know) and Xbox, codename Durango (I hope that’s the codename), I’ll be surprised if WiiU gets any attention at all. You know how Playskool always develops a child-friendly version of a camera or a tablet? That’s what I feel Nintendo’s doing with the WiiU. Give me a controller or give me a handheld console, but my God, not both.

Lastly, because this was all I got to watch out of Ubisoft’s Press Conference, Assassin’s Creed seems to have gotten my hopes up. If any of you know me or have heard our podcast on ACR, then you know how I feel about it. If not, I’ll put it briefly --- It sucks. I’m sorry, I know you guys really love AC, but I have little to no love for this series. However, AC3 did spark my interest. Maybe I’m just more interested in American History than the Italian Renaissance, or because I’m a patriot deep down, but whatever it is, the trailer got me hyped. It had the right amount of pacing in the trailer and the gameplay looked a lot more fun than its predecessors, yet still possesses the AC gameplay and combat system that we all love and enjoy.

What I really want to know is what everyone's opinion of all of this? I talk to a few of my friends and most of them aren't very impressed with E3 this year nor are they really excited about many games coming out this year. I'm pretty on the fence myself. I have certain games that I'm stoked to get, like Resident Evil 6, DmC, and Metro 2033: Last Light, but not much else besides that. Hopefully I'm just being a negative Nancy about the current gaming world and it's lack of luster, but I like to consider myself more of a realist than anything else, and the reality is that our demands for entertainment and our expectations are reaching a level that can't be satisfied. Maybe good things will come from the WiiU and maybe Nintendo will stop being so batshit insane, but time will only tell, I guess... right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

•Comment Form Guidelines: Comments using keywords, spam or splog-like URLs, or suspicious information in the comment form will be edited or deleted.
•Not contributing to the conversation: Incessant trolling and nonsense will be deleted.
•Racial remarks/hateful language/personal attacks: If we see it, it's deleted, and you will be blocked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...