Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Stalk My Friends?!?


I feel like I’ve been using Apples new FindMyFriends app a little more than I should. Don’t get me wrong. Its not like I’m tracking my friends every move, but it is pretty cool to see what they are up to and maybe send off a funny text. Getting over some of the privacy issues I see, this app does make me think about some of the cool and helpful ways it could improve some people’s lives.

​FindMyFriends is a simple app, almost to simple, with a very basic setup. You’re not going to need any codes or knowledge of GPS systems to get online. All you need is your Apple ID along with your password and you’ll be signed right into the home screen. From here you can send either a “temporary share location” request and set the time limit for how long you want to be sharing or you can send a permanent share location request. Now this is where I fumbled with the app a little bit. I sent a request to a pal of mine and he accepted so I could then see his location on the map but when I asked if he could see me he said no. He then sent me a location share request that I accepted and then it worked. I guess this is just a safeguard against sharing your location unknowingly. Besides being able to get directions to a friend’s location, this sums up all the functions in the app. It’s definitely not any sort of new extreme social networking tool. Even with a lack of functions, this app definitely opens up some great possibilities for real life situations.

​FindMyFriends is a really cheap solution to what is usually a high cost system for small businesses. Imagine the owner of a small delivery company that does nights out on the town and airport runs. It would be convenient to see the location of the cars and their ETA to destinations. With a couple Internet connected iOS devices you have a gps tracking system for your business. Voila.

​Apply the same concept to a family of five. It’s a good way for a mom and dad to keep track of the youngings (and keep track of each other). Now if you read the link you could see where this app could start some problems. In a relationship this could be the beginning of the end for some. For anybody reading this who has a significant other that is a little abusive on the telephone/texting, this is not an app you want to make them aware of.

​All in all, this app is really great in terms of ease of use and overall design. The iPod/iPhone version looks great and the iPad version is impressive in itself. Again, the app does lack in-depth functionality, but this is also the very beginning of Apples stroll into mostly uncharted territory. Lets see if this is just another one of Apples “hobbies” or the start of something much grander in the Live Social Networking Experience.

Vincent V.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

•Comment Form Guidelines: Comments using keywords, spam or splog-like URLs, or suspicious information in the comment form will be edited or deleted.
•Not contributing to the conversation: Incessant trolling and nonsense will be deleted.
•Racial remarks/hateful language/personal attacks: If we see it, it's deleted, and you will be blocked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...