Sunday, March 4, 2012

Why SSX Needs Traditional Multiplayer



When I was playing the SSX demo all last week I was having a blast, trying to best my own times and scores, and more importantly, trying to beat my friends times and scores. Anyway I looked at it I was going to buy this game. I still remember back on the PlayStation 2 playing Tricky for hours on end without breaks. Having friends over and kicking each other’s asses, it was good times.

I wasn’t going to buy this game just for the single player, although the single player is very good on its own. But I want to jump into a multiplayer lobby with my friends and show them that I could get 20,000,000 points with ease in mere minute, then I would get up and do a victory dance in my underwear. Come on don’t deny it, we all do it from time to time.

EA Canada though it would be a good idea to remove the “traditional multiplayer” experience from the game almost completely. Instead you can race or compete for the highest trick score or the best track time on you own time. In short, it is a greatly extended single player experience with amped up leaderboards, no lobbies, no screaming at each other (or a complete stranger) over xbox live, you just jump in, throw down, and jump out.

When the event is over it tallies up all the times or scores and gives you a payout of credits that you have earned. You can’t actually compete with someone in real time online, or even worse, your friends…assuming you have any.

It’s actually pretty funny the way EA sold this title by saying that this SSX was to feature an almost groundbreaking new multiplayer experience. In fact it kind of blew back in their faces as a great number of fans, myself included, really can’t stand the idea of not being able to play with their friends in real time. Which is why I now point the soon to be open side of the yogurt away from my face.

Now I’m not saying that I am going to boycot the game or anything just for that one reason, however, this title is in serious need of a patch in the very near future to add traditional multiplayer to the mix.    

0 comments:

Post a Comment

•Comment Form Guidelines: Comments using keywords, spam or splog-like URLs, or suspicious information in the comment form will be edited or deleted.
•Not contributing to the conversation: Incessant trolling and nonsense will be deleted.
•Racial remarks/hateful language/personal attacks: If we see it, it's deleted, and you will be blocked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...