Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Smartphones with keyboards are still cool


Keyboards on smartphones are totally cool, well, at least to me they still are. If you've been following me around the interwebs, you know that I proudly rock a MyTouch 3G Slide which I bought at release in early June of 2010. You probably also know that I love both Android and HTC (and HTC Sense) and I'm also very happy with my service from T-Mobile.

Hitchcock would be proud.

The MyTouch 3G Slide is basically a similarly spec'd HTC version of the original Motorola Droid. This chunky phone sports a slide-out keyboard beneath the 3.8" screen. It has all the amenities of android, including wifi-hotspot capability and the "Genius Button." It was released originally on Android 2.1 Eclair, and has since been updated to run Android 2.2 FroYo.

I guess you could say my point is that "This phone is old" and "I want a new one", but its a bit more than that. My love for technology is well documented, but I also have a love for usability and form factor. I do want a new phone, but I am very picky.

BRILLIANT!

I waited months for the 3G slide to come out specifically because it was the newest model of QWERTY keyboard phones in T-Mobile's lineup at the time. (Also, the G1 was old and busted by then, and there wasn't much else available.) I'm a big fan of keyboards over touchscreen virtual keyboards for their sheer speed and accuracy. This phone did come preloaded with Swype, and though it is quite useful and has come in handy many times, I generally prefer to use the physical keyboard.  HTC's follow-ups, the G2 and the MyTouch 4G Slide, have come and gone and I chose to stick with the 3G Slide. Ideally I'd like to hold out for some kind of announcement from T-Mo/HTC that a new G3 in the works but therein lies the rub.

"As a company the QWERTY keyboard we're moving away from in general... putting too much effort into that would take away from our devices."  -Claude Zellweger, HTC Creative Director

These words taken from a recent Seattle press event are not comforting. When asked, Zellweger did go on to say that HTC does acknowledge that there is a strong community, and thus a market exists that would support future QWERTY keyboard phones. I do take solace in that reiterated statement, but I feel like the damage is done, and the writing may be on the wall.

My Slide has basically made me a believer in HTC. Their build quality is phenomenal and they aren't afraid to do things differently. They birthed Android to the masses with the G1, and have since continued to innovate. However, the timeline of my phone specifically hasn't been all roses. I'm sure that if you're reading this on a smart phone, if its android, its not Froyo.

The promise of Froyo by end of 2010 was not kept. It wasn't delivered until mid 2011, and I feel like I'm the last one on it.  Yes, manufactures have been slow at best with phone updates but the trend seems to show that HTC is shying away from handsets with physical keyboards in general. I can't blame them as the designs are chunkier, heavier, and not generally accepted as "sexy." But, what they lack in sex appeal they gain in ruggedness, usability, and general geek cred.

Does this keyboard make me look fat?
Basically I want a new phone, I'd love one with a keyboard, but I'd like to have one that is cool and sexy too. The HTC One series looks like it may come with all that. The major setback is that it doesn't allow for expandable memory. However, being on the flagship device means that I wont have to wait until everyone else gets served before I get my phone updates. I won't have to scrounge the bargain bins for cool phone cases. And, I won't have people asking "What phone is that?" and then frowning at my weird alien phone.


So, with endless contract extending possibilities available what should I do? Friends have made great suggestions so far... putting Cyanogenmod on the Slide, buying something from ebay off contract that's better and cheaper, and even jumping ship to Samsung then rooting to ICS and getting rid of the horrid TouchWiz UI, of course. All great ideas, except that Samsung one *shudders*, I think for now I will have to just wait it out and see how things shake out with my contract terms with T-mobile.  Holding out for a Google Tablet to be officially announced/ released this summer would allow me to just let my phone be a phone, and let the new shiny handle all the apps. At least that way, I wont have to worry about remaining battery life or missing any calls. 

Pocket friendly.


If you have some great suggestions, feel free to hit me up in the comments and of course on all my usual hangouts. 

Source: 


The Usual Suspects:
The website- EnthusReviews
The twitters- @EnthusReviews@BigRob029@MajorLinux
The GooglePlus - EnthusReviews+
The digital magazine - Exclusive Beta Access


New and Improved:
The website- TheGeekAsylum.net
The twitters- @thegeekasylum@jonortiz
The facebook- FriendLikePoke, then Join


Shoutout!
@cagmanthing & @DirtyBirdPhnx for their epic phone advice, thank you!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

•Comment Form Guidelines: Comments using keywords, spam or splog-like URLs, or suspicious information in the comment form will be edited or deleted.
•Not contributing to the conversation: Incessant trolling and nonsense will be deleted.
•Racial remarks/hateful language/personal attacks: If we see it, it's deleted, and you will be blocked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...